Theresa, over at Lapaz Farm Home Learning, is doing a Miracles Meme. I don’t know how to do paragraphs on typepad, so I used bullets instead.

  • I have a wonderful miracle that happened to us four and a half years ago. I was eight and a half months pregnant with our sixth baby. I sat down to read “The Babybook” by Dr. Sears. Kolbe, our then 26 month old, was lying on the floor playing with his toys, when he came upon a two inch quilting pin. He picked it up and I told him to put it down, but in an instant, because he was lying down, he dropped it in his mouth and swallowed it.
  • I couldn’t believe that he actually swallowed that needle. We looked and looked all over the floor, but he started crying that his mouth had a “boo boo”, and I realized then that he had actually swallowed the needle. 
  • I called the paramedics, but they didn’t take him because there was nothing they could do at that moment. So our oldest daughter and I drove him to the Emergency Room. Luckily, we were seen pretty quickly. They took x-rays and, to my horror, they showed that he had indeed swallowed the needle, and that it was lodged in his stomach. We were put in a waiting room until the hospital could find a specialist that could help. Several doctors were outside the room talking about the x-rays, but didn’t realize that our door was cracked open. We overheard them saying, “It’ll be a miracle if this needle ever passes.” They showed us the x-rays and the needle was lodged, blocking the opening to the large intestines. They came in and told us there was nothing they could do, but were considering flying him to another hospital where they had G.I. specialists, but gave us the option to drive him ourselves. We decided to drive there, which was an hour away, because they couldn’t get a medivac at that time. That was one of the longest hours of my life. By this time, it was 1:00 o’clock in the morning.
  • When we arrived at the second hospital, the doctors were waiting for us. They took the baby for more x-rays. This was our first miracle. By the time we got there, the needle had miraculously dislodged itself, and was now in the large intestines. There was nothing they could do after that. They said it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. We were told it would take about three months for the needle to pass, but it could be up to six months. If it did not pass in six months, he would have to have a colostomy.
  • We had to be really careful with him. We were not allowed to let him fall for fear of the needle piercing his intestines. Imagine that, not letting a 2 year old fall. We were sent home sometime around 5:00 in the morning. The next 2 days were agonizing. I wasn’t able to eat anything. I just lay on the floor and cried and prayed. I stayed with him day and night. We waited and waited for him to go potty, but never did.
  • On the third day, as we were getting ready to go to the first Mass of a priest friend of ours, little Kolbe went potty in his diaper. We all rushed to see his first “poop” since he swallowed the needle. I was never happier to smell his diaper. As soon as I opened his diaper, there it was! The needle was sitting right on top of his “poop.” There was no bleeding, ever. Everyone started screaming with joy. This was truly a miracle. He must have swallowed it with the head of the pin going down first. I have the x-rays showing where the needle was first lodged. I can’t bear to look at it.

So there is our miracle. The needle was in his belly for three days. We will praise God forever and ever.

Advertisements